Brangelina to sue tabloid over split story

They’re putting the rumours to bed.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have begun legal proceedings against the News of the World, after the tabloid published an article alleging the couple had parted ways.

In January, the paper reported the couple had met with a divorce lawyer to quietly divide their assets, hash out a custody deal and financially provide for their six children, in advance of what was claimed to be a messy separation.

The story – and the various incarnations of breakup rumors that followed – gained traction with mainstream news outlets, fueled by speculation that the duo had not appeared in public since December.

Keith Schilling, the couples London-based lawyer, said: “The News of the World has failed to meet our clients’ reasonable demands for a retraction of and apology for these false and intrusive allegations.”

A statement from Los Angeles attorney Sorrell Trope, who was identified by the NOTW as the divorce lawyer representing Brangelina, denied ever meeting the pair: “I have had no contact from them … Angelina Jolie and/or Brad Pitt. I have never met your … clients or had any involvement with either of them.”

In the meantime, Brad and Angie reaffirmed their relationship status at the Super Bowl yesterday, with very public displays of affection. In other words, heavy duty, damage control.

Click on the thumbnails after the jump, to check out the pics of the affectionate couple… (more…)

February 8, 2010. Tags: , , , , , , . Celebrity. Leave a comment.

Dad cleared in Slumdog Millionaire star sale

Rubiana Ali and father

The father of Slumdog Millionaire child actor Rubiana Ali has been cleared by Indian officials of allegations he tried to broker the sale of his famous daughter in exchange for £200,000.

Rafiq Qureshi was accused by the News of the World of attempting to profit off his 9-year-old daughter, who plays a young Latika in the film, after the paper set up a sting operation and had a reporter pose as potential buyer masquerading as Arab royalty.

Nisar Tamboli, a senior Mumbai police officer said: “So far there is no evidence of any offense, hence there is no registration of complaint and no arrest.” 

Qureshi has always proclaimed his innocence, claiming that the tabloid “tried to frame” him and had “played dirty.”

April 22, 2009. Tags: , , , , , , , . Celebrity. Leave a comment.